Eastern US & Canada 2024-1: Crossing the US

    After time with children and grandchildren, we did final preparations on the van and I was off to the East Coast and Canadian Maritimes, a trip we'd planned for 2020. 

My 3rd night out, boondocking at 10,000+ feet in a field above South Fork, CO. 

    I've found the iOverlander app to be very helpful. Hope it works on the East Coast and in Canada.
    I'm on my way to Hartford CT where I'll pick up Marilyn, who is flying there to visit her cousin. We will then visit her amazing niece and family near Albany NY and a friend near Bar Harbor ME. After a couple nights camping in Acadia National Park, we'll board the ferry in Bar Harbor for a 3.5-hour crossing to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. I am excited.
    Home to Hartford is about 3,000 miles. I hurried out of the heat, drove 500-plus miles on freeways,  and spent the first night at the Grand Canyon. Hop
efully I won't see freeways again until east of the Mississippi River.

Inside El Tovar Lodge with my Bloody Mary Deck outside.

    In 1973, I had a Bloody Mary on the deck at El Tovar Lodge and it started a tradition on my many visits. It was easily broken as it was 7 AM. I am now on other side of the glass enjoying an omelette which was better and not that much more.

Grand Canyon South Rim.

    After enjoying the rim, I slowed my pace. My next stop was just a couple hundred miles drive, Valley of the Gods near Mexican Hat UT.




Pictures do not give Valley of the Gods justice.


The road was okay but unfortunately too rough to take Marilyn on. 

But I did see a 911 Porsche 


My campsite.

Fresh-brewed morning coffee.

    I'm now off to central Kansas to spend some time where my dad was from. After that Asheville NC and the Blue Ridge Parkway before turning north to civilization 🥴. Hopefully I will be mostly on blue highways. Anyone want to bet on my actual mileage from home to my rendezvous with Marilyn?
    Stay tuned. 

Comments

  1. Beautiful scenery! Happy trails! Looking forward to the next installment. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boondocking at 10,000+ feet? Wow. Happy trails, indeed! Keep the photos coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I'd been there, too! Will try to keep up with our travels here, but we usually fall behind...

      Delete

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our readers! If you wish your comment not to be "Anonymous," you can sign into your Google account or simply leave your name at the end of your comment. Thanks!