Kayaking

    Not all of our adventures are on the road. Last week a buddy and I went to our local reservpor, Lake Kaweah, for a nice morning of kayaking.
    Joel picked me up, we put my kayak on his car along with the rest of my gear and headed out. More about the lake and other kayaks below under Hoopedoodle.


    The lake is about 30% full, meaning that we will kayak near the dam instead of up lake as we will when it fills this Spring.


    I will let the pictures speak for themselves. It was a beautiful February morning on the water.


    Temp in the mid 50's, visibility unlimited and the water was a mirror. Lake a bit cooler but we did not intend to get in. 



    Once across the lake we headed up a cove into very calm water. 



    It was fun while paddling to watch the shore expand with the reflections.



My favorite picture of the day

    We returned to the launch site and began putting our gear away when we noticed a pontoon boat that had been launched and was now floating away, as the wind had come up. Seems the lady onboard was unable to get the engine started and her husband, at the launch, was trying to give her directions. 
     Joel and I realized there were no other boats around. I beat him to it and launched toward the pontoon boat—I mean, why not?

Heading toward the drifting pontoon boat.


Soon I had my line attached to the boat—and wondered if I could pull it.


Once I had tension it took a couple few minutes to get the boat moving. Then it was an easy paddle to the dock. Another fun experience on the water!

Back at the dock, pontoon boat in tow.

Hoopedoodle
    See the side bar for definition—basically a bunch of extra stuff.
The joy of having a VW bus. They are a work horse. Here is my bus with four kayaks inside on our way to paddle a lake in the Sierras. Two are inflatables that we usually carry in our Promaster and two plastic boats plus gear. There is still room for a driver plus passenger.


Kaweah Lake. Kaweah is actually a reservoir built in the late '50s, with three purposes: flood control, capturing water for irrigation, and, lastly, recreation. In spring when the lake is full you will find me at the head kayaking among the trees and smiling.



Kayaks. The two Joel and I used were bought from a kayak rental place in Morro Bay about 7 years ago. When asked if they had any for sale the owner said he did but they leaked. After I ensured that they would sit in my VW bus, Joel and I each bought them and patched the holes. Though not perfect, they are great boats for the lake.
Morro Bay and my new kayak. The shorter kayaks are good for lakes and rivers but I needed something a bit more seaworthy for Morro Bay. I recently found a 14-1/2' sit-in, a used but in great shape kayak. Fortunately a friend lets me keep it at his place in Los Osos. 


Me in my new kayak on Morro Bay. Morro Rock behind.

Kayaking with friend Steve.

Being that long it hangs out just a little.

Paddling wherever you put in is so serene. Here we were on a foggy day in the Bay. 


Orientation to locations: Visalia (home) in the San Joaquin Valley, Lake Kaweah in the Sierra Nevada footills, Morro Bay & Los Osos on the Pacific Coast.

Comments

  1. Anonymous2/17/2024

    Great pictures. I’m sure the lady in distress and her hubby were glad you came along. -Kathy Parker

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are always up for a paddle; and a pleasure to share water with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too?:-) Yes, Doug is always up for a paddle!!! Check out our other kayak posts under the kayak heading on the left:-)

      Delete
  3. Great pictures, indeed! Especially liked your favorite with its mirroring. And you were a good sailor; towed the lady to safety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't the pictures just amazing? I love the one of Steve in the fog.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous2/19/2024

    The pictures are great and the auxiliary information add a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2/19/2024

    Last comment was from Steve, back from Texas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our readers! If you wish your comment not to be "Anonymous," you can sign into your Google account or simply leave your name at the end of your comment. Thanks!